Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Grateful

This is the beginning of many posts about gratitude because this time of year always causes me to stop and think about the beautiful blessings that surround me.

I just read this blog post from our sister-in-law Bree (she's not actually our sister-in-law but Javi and I have always called her that) and it made me increasingly grateful for the simple blessings like being able to tell someone where I live rather than feeling like I have to hide the fact that I don't have a home at all.

This morning I started a training program to get myself running again. Seven years ago I could run 13 miles like it was nothing but the following seven years brought three knee surgeries and years of physical therapy. But yesterday I saw this:
Pinned Image
As Javi expressed his concerns for my leg I reminded him, and mostly myself, that three surgeries were supposed to make it so I could run and dance again. That was the point of using a cane and crutches for so long. So, I'm starting slow....like really slow...like probably the people driving past me this morning on their way to work were wondering if I was actually moving at all but I'm doing it for those girls who loved to run and dance and can't for the time being. I'm doing it for myself because my knee is better now than it's been in years. The constant pain is finally tolerable and it's time to do the things I've had to sit by and watch for so long. Coming to this realization and tying up my running shoes this morning has made me feel very, very blessed today.

I'm really grateful today for clean drinking water. How lucky are we to just turn on a tap and drink as much as we want? That is a blessing.

I am very grateful for families. Last night my mom's side of the family had their annual Halloween party. I was lucky enough to get to see everyone's costumes and say hello via Skype. Families are the best and Skype is pretty great too.

I also must document how grateful I am for blogs...and how NOT grateful I am for blogs. I've had a real blog cleansing as I've realized that reading certain blogs can actually make me feel bad about myself! They can often make us feel that we're not pretty enough, not skinny enough, not a good enough cook, not crafty enough, not talented enough, and overall just not enough just the way we are. I don't read blogs like that anymore. Life's too short to feel bad about ourselves and for me blogs should only be a way to document lives, not a way to make others feel bad about their abilities...or lack thereof.

To end today's grateful list, I have to say how grateful I am to be married to Javier Misiego. He is even better than the dream guy I have designed in my head. Every day I get to reflect upon the goodness of marriage and relationships because of HIM! I honestly don't think it is possible to be treated any better than I am by my sweet husband. Heavenly Father totally spoiled me by giving me Javi.

2 comments:

  1. Love you Annalece, I know your visits home are super packed to see family, but sometime I want to meet up for lunch or something! Good for you for lacing up the running shoes. I have thought the same thing about running-even when it hurts-that I just have to keep going because some people can't. :) And there is absolutely no way reading anything should make you feel anything less than fabulous, because you are amazing and don't ever forget it! But it is hard when you look at other blogs and see what they do...but you are incredible and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I read this! Partly because you gave me a shout-out. Thank you. :) But also because I'm running a half-marathon this Saturday and kind of dreading it!! I loved that picture/quote you shared. When I'm trudging along and just getting to mile 7 and hating life... I will think of those who can't run and push harder. I'll need that little push. And I'll think of you also! I'm excited about your running adventures. GOOD LUCK. p.s. The "Couch to 5K" program is an awesome, gradual routine over several weeks if you haven't seen it before. Let me know and I'll e-mail it to you!

    ReplyDelete