Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The first two weeks.

We are feeling like we are beginning to settle in to our new home. Our house is looking awesome and we love having a yard to work in and a garage to park in. Perhaps one of the highlights of the week was when Roto-Rooter showed up on Tuesday afternoon and took a chisel to the paint clogging the kitchen sink. After 11 days of not being able to use our kitchen sink, I was SO GRATEFUL to get to do dishes in the kitchen sink rather than in the bathroom sink. Speaking of which, here's a lovely picture of my incredible parents doing that very thing in that very bathroom:
Which brings me to the fact that those two lovely people came for a very wonderful visit. We had the best time and they helped us so much to finish tying up the loose ends in this house. This picture will give you an idea of how great the weekend was:
Yep. LOTS of Sonic ice and drinks. We love it. We love it so much that one night my Dad said the following: "Sonic is like our North Star." Yep. Nailed it.

Here's a little bit of how our perfect weekend went:

Thursday PM - pick up Mom from the airport. Sonic.

Friday AM - Watch the Today Show while eating muffins and relaxing in our jammies. Sometimes there's nothing better than that.

Friday PM - Lunch at Little Anita's (our new favorite Mexican food hole-in-the-wall). Buy shoes for the little girl (me) whose ankles are collapsing from wearing terrible shoes. Thanks alot for those genes Randy Boothe. Go to Sonic and then to the scariest laundromat in New Mexico. Mind you, it was dark outside and Mom and I are fairly certain we almost lost our lives. We witnessed gang walk by's, drug deals, and absolutely insane people. It was quite an experience. Needless to say I won't be frequenting that laundromat in the near future. Finally, pick up Dad from the airport and then pick up Javi from the news station. It was so fun to be all together. Sad to say, the boys were hungry for a Sonic hot dog so...Sonic again.

Saturday AM - Loose ends day. Finish up the things in the house that were not quite complete. Sonic. Sonic.

Saturday PM - Took the parents to see "The Help" which was followed up by some pretty wonderful discussion. Late night shopping trip to Wal-Mart. We were all delirious. Everything took us twice as long as it should have.

Sunday AM - Church at the new Spanish branch. We love it. We are very happy there.

Sunday PM - Sunday Dinner cooking lessons from the Madre. Very educational. Drive around town to visit the temple. This was take minutes before the downpour. We have almost daily downpours around here. It is one of my favorite things about Albuquerque.

Monday AM/PM: We spent Labor Day in Old Town Albuquerque which we love. We love the ambiance of that little old town. We love the Cafe on Church Street which we ate at over 3 years ago and it was just as wonderful then as it is now. We love that we found some street marimba players and they asked for volunteers. We love that I volunteered my super talented husband and without ever playing a marimba in his life he came up with this:
I love that beautiful 300 year old church behind us. There was a lovely wedding happening while we were there. Fun to see that beautiful, historical spot still get used.
Monday PM: take the parents to the airport. Hated that part the very most.

Mom and Dad, we are so grateful for all the help you gave to us. We loved having you here and can't wait for you to come again! (Hurry up and come again, please.)

In other news, we've found a wonderful spot for pedicures. $17. Don't mind if I do. Javi thinks we should have pedicures every Saturday since they're so cheap :)

The sweet little man revved up this crazy machine and literally sanded off my calluses. It was wild and really tickly but I loved it. Lets see, is it Saturday yet?

Javi has been on the Nationwide news FOUR times in the last two weeks! This is huge, people. I love watching him on the Good Morning America of Spanish television. He is so awesome.

Today we had a high of 75 degrees. I most definitely took this opportunity to pull out the sweaters and boots and strut my stuff. Oh, thank Heavens for cardigans and boots. I just love being comfy and they are my favorite for that.

I found another laundromat today that is supposedly the "Best of 2010" in Albuquerque. I figured it would be some beautiful array of laundering but instead there was mold growing on the toilet seat and I'm sure the floors hadn't been swept since the place opened in the 1950's. Good news though? It's open on Christmas. That's a relief.

I'm still on the search for a safe and clean laundromat. We'll see if next week brings success.

Fall means that I have to find a Starbucks and treat myself to a Pumpkin Steamer. Basically just warm milk with pumpkin spices in it. Delish. Every Target in NM has a Starbucks attached so while I was looking for a microwave today (oh ya, we don't have a microwave. I've half decided we don't really need one.) I stopped in the Starbucks and ordered a "Tall Skinny Pumpkin Steamer". (Translation: Tall is the size. Skinny means I want fat free milk. Pumpkin means Pumpkin. Steamer means hot.) To which the sweet girl behind the counter said "What?! I've never heard of a Pumpkin Steamer in my life." My head started reeling. How many states have I had a Pumpkin Steamer in? Atleast 4 different states in America. How has New Mexico been missing out all this time?! So, I taught the cute girl how to make me a pumpkin steamer and told her to not forget it. I'd be back. It is amazing. If you live anywhere but NM you should go to any Starbucks and order a "Tall Skinny Pumpkin Steamer" and enjoy the taste of Fall in your mouth. Yum. Yum. Yum.

Lets see. Does that catch me up? I guess it does except to say that I can't wait for David and Brittney to come and visit in October during the Hot Air Balloon Fiesta! I'm already counting down.

No comments:

Post a Comment