Monday, November 10, 2014

How do you scripture?

Since the stroke I've had a hard time reading.
I mean, I still know how and everything but I'll read 5 pages in a book and return it to the library.
I get bored lots faster apparently.
There was this one time that Javi brought home "The Secret Life of Bees" and I read the whole thing in 4 hours.
Headache of my life!

I don't get it, except that I think that God is blessing me once again.

Here's the thing, I am suddenly OBSESSED with the scriptures. This is like full-on missionary obsession. I just can't get enough. 

I have been shocked and so uplifted by the war chapters in Alma as I've learned of the incredible FAITH and the exact obedience that the people showed. 

I have read 3 Nephi over and over again trying to get absolutely everything out of it. I LOVE reading the Savior's words.

And the parts about all of the signs of the coming of the Christ child that the prophets had given and suddenly they're happening and the people are completely terrified and they believe for a second and then they stop believing because they can't SEE Him.
So good.
So so good.

There is just so much to learn from the writings of people who lived thousands of years ago.
I mean, they struggled with the very same things that we struggle with.
That is so wild to me.

I just love love love these books.
I am totally a self-help book reader and I've never read a better self-help book than these scriptures. 

So, anyway, the question is
HOW DO YOU SCRIPTURE?
Morning? 
Night? 
During a meal? 
With your child or spouse or dog hanging all over you?
Are you a scripture marker and writer like me?
Or maybe your copy is pristine and white.


Any way around it, I hope that you DO scripture. 
Whether you read the Quran or the Torah or the Bible or whatever
I hope that you are as obsessed with it as I am.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you're obsessed with reading the scriptures! What could be better? I must admit that I've been a slacker lately, as far as my own personal reading goes, but I do like to read during breakfast. And I am a marker and notes in the margins kinda gal. It makes me sad that iphones are taking over for accessing the scriptures, even with the 10 year old girls in my primary class that I teach. They access the scriptures there, but when I give them an actual book, they have NO idea where any of the books are or anything. I'm afraid I'm being old-fashioned, but I highly prefer using the book, rather than the device!

    ReplyDelete